How to Hire Online Freelancers Quickly and Efficiently
Hiring online freelancers can help you supercharge your business. How to do it, though? Read here to find out more.DOWNLOAD TEMPLATE
Hiring an online freelancer can be a game-changer for your business. But where do you start? With such a wide range of talented freelancers available online, finding the perfect fit for your project can be daunting.
But fear not! In this blog post, we'll guide you through hiring the best freelance talent. From identifying your needs to assessing candidates, we have all the tips and tricks you need to succeed. So let's dive in and start hiring!
What is a freelancer?
Freelancers are the creative chameleons of the working world! They take on bite-sized projects with clients, either at a project fee or hourly rate, typically complete the work quickly, and deliver high quality. Unlike traditional employees, freelancers get to call the shots on when and how they work.
But, it's not all sunshine and roses for these freedom fighters! The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has a say in who's who in the working world. To avoid any wild mix-ups, business owners should double-check their classification of employees and freelancers. Misclassification could result in taxes and sanctions. When in doubt, bring in a lawyer to review your hiring plans before you dive in.
The advantages of hiring freelancers
Hiring a freelancer instead of engaging an agency or employing internally can bring your business many benefits. Here are a few key advantages to consider when hiring a freelancer:
- Cost-effective: freelancers often charge less than full-time employees, as they typically work on a project basis. This means hiring freelancers can help you save money without skimping on quality (as freelancers want to maintain their reputation.)
- Flexibility: freelancers can be hired for short-term or one-off projects, giving businesses more flexibility than hiring a full-time employee.
- Skill variety: freelancers have a wide range of skills and expertise, allowing businesses to hire someone with the exact skillset they need for a specific project.
- No long-term commitment: businesses can hire freelancers for the duration of a project without any long-term commitment, which can be a more cost-effective option.
- No training required: freelancers are typically experts in their field, so businesses don't need to invest time and money in training.
- Fast turnaround: freelancers can often complete projects faster than full-time employees, as they are focused solely on the project at hand.
- Access to global talent: working with skilled freelancers enables you to access qualified candidates from anywhere in the world -- and access to a global talent pool can help you find the best options for your projects.
- Lower overhead costs: hiring freelancers can lower overhead costs for businesses, as they do not need to provide benefits or office space.
- High-quality work: freelancers are often passionate about their work and strive to produce high-quality work to build their reputation.
- Innovation: freelancers often bring a fresh perspective to projects as their experience lies outside of your organization.
How to hire the best freelancer professionals for your business
Not sure where to start in finding the best-qualified freelancers for your business? Here's a hiring process example you could use:
1. Identify your needs
Before you hit the interwebs to locate your potential candidates, get a clear idea of what you need from a freelancer. What specific skills are required to make your project shine? What kind of personality traits will mesh well with your team?
2. Define a budget
Budgeting may be tedious, but it's the backbone of any business endeavor. Get your finances sorted before you start your hunt for a freelancer. Have a clear figure of what you can afford to spend and what will be a bit of a stretch for the project's scope.
2. Write a job description
Your job description is a freelancer's first impression of your project. Make it count! Don't be afraid to get creative with your wording, but also make sure to clearly outline the specific job requirements and qualifications needed for the job.
3. Promote your job post
Don't be a wallflower... You've crafted the perfect job description. Now what? Get your post out into the world! Utilize social media, job boards, online platforms for freelancers, and your network to get the word out and attract top talent.
4. Assess potential candidates
Congratulations! You've got some applications in. But how do you choose the most experienced freelancer for your project? Follow these three simple steps:
Step 1: Create a shortlist
You've swiped left and right through a stack of viable candidates, and now it's time to narrow it down to a lucky few. Think of it like the dating game - who has caught your eye, and who is getting a rose?
Step 2: Do a video interview
Once you've narrowed the pool, it's time for the virtual meetup. Here's where you take things to the next level with a video call! Ask your candidate about their list of skills, experience, process, and track record. Of course, include relevant questions about the project, but it's also essential to keep your candidates on their toes and see how they respond to a question they may not expect.
Step 3: Send a test assignment
The game is on! You've got a few high-quality contenders, but who will come out on top? It's time to send them a test assignment and see who can really bring it to prove they are worthy of being hired for the project.
Step 5. Onboard freelancers
Welcome to the Team! You've found your freelancer - now it's time to get them up to speed. Create a detailed onboarding plan to make sure everyone is on the same page and ready to hit the ground running.
What to consider when hiring a quality freelancer
Building the right hiring process is, of course, important. Beyond that, here are some more tips to help you make sure you hire the most skilled professional freelancer:
Hiring a freelancer can be a cost-effective way to get the job done, but rates can vary widely depending on the freelancer's level of expertise and experience. Don't break the bank - set a budget and look for freelancers within that range, but also remember that you get what you pay for!
There are many types of freelancers -- but not all of them will be a perfect fit for your project. Look for freelancers who specialize in your industry or have experience in a specific area relevant to your projects.
You don't want to settle for mediocrity. Identify freelancer professionals with a strong portfolio or positive reviews from previous clients. Don't be afraid to ask for references or samples of their work to ensure they can deliver the quality you expect. It's probably a good idea to go the extra mile and give the reference they provided a call to make sure they are the right fit.
When hiring a quality freelancer, thinking beyond the immediate project is essential. Consider hiring someone with a skill set that could be useful for your company for a future time. You never know, your freelancer could become a permanent part of your talented team!
One of the most important decisions you'll make when hiring freelancers is how to pay them. With so many options available, it's important to choose a payment strategy that fits the unique needs of your project. Here are a few common payment strategies to consider:
- Commission-based payments: Consider a commission-based payment structure if your project involves generating sales or revenue. This way, your freelancer earns a percentage of your organization's money due to their work. It's a win-win situation!
- Contract payments: for ongoing projects or services that will be provided over a specific period of time, consider a contract-based payment structure. This way, you can set clear expectations and milestones for the work to be completed and pay your freelancer a specific amount for each project stage.
- Cost per hour: hourly rates are a simple and common way to pay freelancers. However, it can be a bit risky. Be sure to ask for an estimated time frame and set clear requirements to avoid unexpected expenses that may exceed your budget.
- Pay per project: for a simple, one-time project such as a graphic design project involving creating a logo or designing a website, consider paying your freelancer a fixed rate based on the project's requirements. This way, both you and your freelancer know exactly what to expect.
Once you've determined the payment structure, it's essential to also establish when and how you'll pay your freelancer. Will they be paid within a specific number of days of submitting their work? Will you pay them as soon as they submit an invoice?
And how will you pay them? Online payment systems, physical checks, or direct deposit? Remember, clear communication and expectations around payment can help establish a positive working relationship with your freelancer for future projects.
Ready to Level Up Your Business? Find Your Freelancer Today!
So there you have it! Hiring an online freelancer doesn't have to be a daunting task. With a clear understanding of your needs, budget, payment strategy, selection process, and freelancer management, you'll be able to find the perfect fit for your business in no time.
Plenty of talented freelancers have unique skill sets and experiences just waiting to help your business grow. So leap and start your search today! Who knows, you may find your next long-term collaborator.
And if you're ready to search for the perfect freelancer, head over to our website and connect with some of the best in the business. We only work with experienced, vetted freelance contractors at Mayple. Whether you need a virtual assistant, a social media marketing pro, a freelance CMO or an Amazon freelancer, you can rest assured you'll find what you need in our database. Contact us and let's match you with the best independent contractors for your needs.