What is a performance marketer?
A performance marketer is a skilled professional who focuses on driving measurable results through strategic digital marketing efforts. Unlike traditional marketers, performance marketers emphasize quantifiable outcomes such as customer conversions, lead generation, sales, and ROI.
These experts leverage various digital channels, including search engine marketing (SEM), social media marketing and advertising, content marketing, email marketing, and affiliate marketing, to optimize campaigns and achieve predetermined performance objectives.
Why hire a performance marketing freelancer?
A digital marketer specializing in performance marketing can be a great asset to your business. Here are some of the advantages of hiring such an expert:
Expertise and specialization
Performance freelancers are specialists in their field. They possess in-depth knowledge of the latest digital marketing trends, platforms, and tools, allowing them to create highly targeted campaigns tailored to specific business goals. Their expertise enables them to deliver results-driven strategies that maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
Hiring a performance marketing freelancer can be more cost-effective than maintaining an in-house marketing team. With freelancers, businesses only pay for the services they require, eliminating the need for full-time salaries and benefits. Additionally, freelancers often work remotely, reducing overhead costs associated with office space and equipment.
Flexibility and agility
Performance marketing freelancers offer flexibility in terms of project-based engagements. They can quickly adapt to changing market dynamics, scale campaigns as needed, and swiftly respond to emerging trends. Their agility allows businesses to remain competitive and stay ahead in the ever-evolving digital landscape.
Skills a performance marketing expert should have
When hiring a performance marketer, look for specific skills that align with your business objectives is crucial. Here are four essential skills to consider:
A performance marketer should possess strong analytical abilities, enabling them to gather and interpret data from various sources. They should be proficient in using analytics tools like Google Analytics to measure campaign performance, identify trends, and make data-driven decisions to optimize campaigns.
PPC (Pay-Per-Click) advertising
Your performance marketer needs to be proficient in managing PPC campaigns, such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and advertising on social channels. They should have expertise in keyword research, ad copywriting, bid management, and A/B testing to drive targeted traffic and conversions.
Conversion rate optimization (CRO)
A performance marketing expert should understand the principles of CRO and be skilled in optimizing landing pages, user experience (UX), and conversion funnels. They should be able to identify areas for improvement, conduct split tests, and implement strategies to increase conversion rates.
Knowledge of different marketing channels
A performance marketer should deeply understand various digital advertising platforms, such as Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, LinkedIn Ads, and programmatic advertising. This knowledge allows them to develop effective multi-channel campaigns that reach the target audience across different platforms.
Growth marketing basics
Growth hacking is very tightly connected to performance marketing, largely because they are both data-driven and aim to improve user acquisition. Hence, it is beneficial for a performance marketer to understand growth hacking principles and tactics, such as A/B testing, customer segmentation, and more. In fact, a lot of growth marketers specialize in either organic acquisition or paid ads.
Budget and planning
Good performance marketers know how to work with a marketing budget and set achievable goals. They should be able to come up with strategies for maximizing ROI and creating a plan for the team to follow.
Collaboration and communication
Soft skills are just as important as technical skills. For instance, performance marketers will frequently work with other team members to create winning digital marketing campaigns. As a result, the ideal candidate should be able to collaborate effectively with colleagues, vendors, and other stakeholders. Moreover, they should possess excellent communication skills to present ideas and data to team members clearly and concisely.
Resilience and a growth mindset
This isn't an easy role, and it's important to find freelancers with the mental resilience and tenacity to overcome marketing challenges and shifting markets. They should be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while responding quickly to changes, taking the initiative to identify opportunities for improvement, and adapting strategies as needed.
Your performance marketer needs solid digital marketing strategy know-how to create campaigns that impact the marketing funnel and drive real results. From paid strategy to email marketing strategy, your performance marketer should know online marketing strategies and tactics like the back of their hands, so they can employ the best ones.
Successful performance marketers must be creative and possess the ability to think outside the box. They should have a knack for brainstorming ideas, coming up with innovative solutions, and crafting engaging content that resonates with the target audience. Additionally, they should be able to identify unique opportunities and develop strategies that set them apart from competitors.
How much does hiring a performance marketer cost?
The cost of hiring a performance marketer can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and the scope of work. Rates can range from hourly fees to project-based or monthly retainers. It's important to consider your budget and the level of expertise required when determining the cost of hiring a performance marketer.
Generally, you can find performance marketers with hourly rates ranging from $20 to $100 or more per hour. At Mayple, for example, hiring a performance marketing freelancer starts at $1,800/ month (depending on your marketing budget.)
How to hire a performance marketing expert
Crafting a compelling job post is crucial to attract qualified candidates. Consider the following tips:
- Clearly define your project goals, objectives, and key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Provide details about your industry, target audience, and desired outcomes.
- Specify the required skills, experience level, and preferred certifications.
- Mention the estimated project duration and budget range.
- Request relevant work samples or case studies to assess the candidate's expertise.
- Make sure you look for someone with a proven marketing background and a proven track record of success.
- Include what you offer as well -- it can often attract the best candidates
How to shortlist candidates
To narrow down your list of potential candidates, consider the following steps:
Review portfolios and work samples
Evaluate candidates' portfolios and work samples to assess the quality of their previous projects. Look for relevant experience, successful campaign outcomes, and the ability to work within your industry niche.
Check references and reviews
Reach out to references provided by the candidates to verify their skills, work ethic, and professionalism. Additionally, check online reviews and ratings on relevant platforms to gather additional insights.
Conduct structured interviews to better understand the candidates' expertise, approach, and problem-solving skills. Ask specific questions about their experience, data analysis, and campaign optimization.
Questions to ask your performance marketer when hiring them
Not sure what to ask performance marketing freelancers when hiring them? Here are some interview questions to consider:
- How did you start running digital marketing campaigns?
- During the interview process, consider asking the following questions to assess a performance marketer's suitability for your business:
- Can you describe a successful performance marketing campaign you worked on in the past? What were the key strategies you implemented to achieve the desired results?
- How do you approach data analysis and optimization?
- What tools do you use to measure campaign performance and make data-driven decisions?
- How do you stay updated with the latest trends and changes in your space?
- Can you provide examples of how you have adapted strategies based on industry shifts?
- What metrics do you prioritize when measuring campaign success?
- How do you ensure that the performance marketing goals align with the broader business objectives?
- What is the most successful marketing strategy you have ever employed?
- What are some of the trending performance marketing strategies right now?
- How does your expertise help nurture prospective customers?
- Do you have extensive experience in running ads for our industry?
- In your experience, which social media networks have proven most successful for our industry?
- What is your previous experience with running ads on LinkedIn/ Twitter/ TikTok?
- Do you focus on B2B marketing or B2C?
- Have you ever been involved in affiliate marketing programs?
- How do you determine the target market for Display Advertising campaigns, for example?
- What is your take on banner ads?
- Do you have growth marketing experience?
- What is the relationship between growth and performance marketing, in your opinion?
- What are some of your favorite digital marketing campaigns (from other companies)?
- In your opinion, what makes marketing talent valuable?
- Do you have experience working with product marketing teams?
Where to hire performance marketers?
When searching for top-quality performance marketing freelancers, there are several avenues to explore:
Online platforms like Upwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr provide access to a vast pool of performance marketing freelancers. These platforms offer reviews, ratings, and portfolios to help you evaluate candidates and choose the best fit for your project.
Posting your requirements on specialized job boards, such as Indeed or LinkedIn, can attract experienced performance marketers looking for freelance opportunities. These platforms allow you to review resumes and conduct interviews to find the most suitable candidates.
Seek recommendations from industry colleagues, business associates, or professional networks. Referrals can often lead to finding highly skilled performance marketers who come with trusted recommendations and successful track records.
Mayple connects businesses with vetted marketing experts, in a matter of days. Mayple's extensive network of performance marketing freelancers ensures access to top-tier talent, making the hiring process efficient and reliable.